Sunday, January 31, 2010

Klondike


This weekend Caleb had his first Scout over-night camp, the Klondike. I am still a little unsure why anyone in their right mind would want to camp in several feet of snow, but Caleb had a great time (not that you could tell from the pictures - the stinker didn't smile in a single one). Not only was he there with all of his best friends, Adam came as one of the leaders which made the trip GREAT!

They had to dig out several feet of snow in order to set-up camp. Adam mistakenly brought an air mattress which froze and cracked in the first four minutes of his attempts to sleep. Needless to say, Adam didn't sleep much. Caleb however, slept like a baby.

The following morning, the boys competed in various events with troops from 3 stakes. Events like fire building, first aid, knot tying, sled pulling, etc. To the surprise of all, their troop came in first place!!

I am thankful Caleb's first camp out was such a great experience. I am thankful for the scouting program and especially thankful for the AWESOME leaders that made it such a success!


13 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm glad you are blogging again! I have to admit that Ryan and I laughed at the air mattress thing... I would have thought it would be perfectly fine to try to sleep on an air mattress but was quickly corrected when we were packing Ryan up for a winter camp a few years ago. Ryan assumed that EVERYONE knows you can't use an air mattress in the winter... I'm glad to be validated in knowing that I'm not the only one who didn't know that! Looking forward to seeing more of your family's happenings!!!

Leah said...

That's great that Caleb had such a great experience, thanks for sharing. I also have to laugh at the air mattress thing! Becca stayed on the air mattress when they came to visit and we tried a few different things to make it warmer, but nothing seemed to warm it up. Thank goodness it was freezing or we would have learned the same thing! :) Leah

vocalise said...

This is the second snow cave post/email I've seen today. Obviously the season. I'll take my bed...but the boys sure seem to like it!

LizzyP said...

I think it's basically a rule that boys aren't allowed to smile in photos when they're with their peers. The snow campout looks like so much fun--and now he can say that he can survive snow camping!

ellen said...

Smile, Caleb!!

Beth said...

so good to see you again! I've been wondering what you and your beautiful family are up to. I found Keri, actually she found me, on facebook. Fun to catch up. Randy went snowcaving this last weekend too. Not my cup of tea, glad Adam and Caleb had a good time.

Marilyn said...

I didn't know about the air mattress thing either. That leaves me out of winter camping, but the cold and SNOW would have left me out anyway. What a fun trip though and that Adam could go with Caleb is even better.

Rufus said...

As I exited the office yesterday, the orange setting sun shining off the snow and the scent of a nearby fire brought me back to my first overnight camp-out with the Boy Scouts--also in the snow. The night was cold enough to freeze my stove, denying me a hot meal and enhancing my enjoyment of the adventure. What a wonderful treat for father and son. I am green with envy.

I don't imagine Caleb's Nordic forefathers standing around grinning for a picture when they scratched out their meager existence during the bitter Scandinavian winters so perhaps he can be forgiven. He honors their spirit. Bully!

Bridget said...

Looks like a fun time. However, if you feel like a reprieve - I think spring officially starts in February here. I just turned up all the soil for my garden.

jhoopes said...

Amen to all of that--our Klondike camp-out was also this weekend. I guess that's because the BSA is super totally organized. :) I also don't know why anyone thinks camping in the snow is fun, but I am grateful I will NEVER have to go!! Glad Caleb had a good time. Jake will be there in 2 more years. Yikes!

Juliet said...

I added a comment earlier, but Rufus said it wasn't there and it turns out he was right (imagine that). I must not have published it. Anyway, we are looking forward to more pictures and updates. So glad you are blogging again.

Marjorie said...

I have missed reading about your family, I am glad that you are back. Ah fun, the mother of a boy scout---I do remember well. It is great that Caleb and Adam had so much fun together. Great memories for all. It really is a wonderful program, very beneficial for boys!! Hope you are all well, and I am looking forward to more pictures!

From the Farm said...

Do you remember when Caleb was a baby and you might have said, "Snow camping for my sweet little boy. Oh, no! He will stay home with his mother! Too cold and what a cruel thing to do to a boy." Now, are you reminding him... getting everything ready so he can just GO! You are out-of-here!