
I did it. I finally ran the half marathon I have been training for since January. It was a great experience. These were some of the highlights.
1. Seeing Adam and the kids at mile 11. The first 10 1/2 miles are through a canyon. It is beautiful, and the huge cliffs provided ample shade. But after that, I was running on highway and smaller roads through town. The last miles were hot and miserable. Seeing my family was far more of an energy boost than any pack of GU. I was so thrilled to see them, I about knocked them down. This was a very short trip and Adam had to carry most of the burden alone. I will always be grateful that they all came happily to cheer me on.
2. Seeing all the children spectators. Maybe it is from the years of taking our family to the Boston Marathon and the memories of my own kids giving high fives, passing out water, etc. If I saw a kid on the side lane, it didn't mater what lane I was in, I ran and gave them a high five. Or if I saw them watching on the cliffs, I always smiled and waved. I loved it. I loved seeing every one of the kids. They were definitely a highlight.
3. Accomplishing my goal. It always feels good to accomplish something you set out to do. I never walked and I came in 7 minutes faster than my goal. (don't let this fool you, I was still slow). And I finished - alive.
4. Doing this with friends. I trained alone and ran alone but it was nice to have comrades doing the same thing. We began at the start line together and they were there to cheer me on as I crossed the finish line. Thanks gals.

This is me with most of the gals from my ward that ran. When I look at this picture, that Sesame Street song pops into my mind "One of these things doesn't belong here. One of these things just isn't the same." I am clearly the running impostor. But here's to more training and at least one more half marathon this year.
20 comments:
HOORAY JANAE!!! That's so great! I wish I could have been there to give you a high five, a cup of water, and to take a million pictures! After that other half marathon can you start training for Boston?!? I'll be waiting for you at Mile 19!
Congratulations! It sounds like it was both a lot of work and a lot of fun. I wish I could have been there!
Congrats, Janae! You motivate me to hit the pavement. How fun to do this with friends too. Way to go!
Janae, That is SO AWESOME! Way to go! Did you go to Moab? Congrats on accomplishing a tough goal. Now go celebrate!
Wow! That's GREAT!
I think you look like you belong, the only difference is the white t-shirt, doesn't white always mean the good guys? Great pictures!
I am so proud of you! That is wonderful! You are such an inspiration in so many ways!
congratulations! That is such a huge accomplishment and I am so impressed! I hope to do a 5K one of these days...probably not before August, though :)
Way to go Janae!
What a great accomlishment! I can't believe you didn't ever walk, that would be my goal too, but I can barely make that goal in a 5k! Good work!
It was fun to see pictures--I'm so impressed with you! I think I told you that although I'm not a runner in any form, I still get emotional watching people cross the finish line. Maybe in another life I'll find my inner-runner that must be there!
I AM going to do this someday. Good for you. Seriously! Feels so good to set a goal and do it! Not to mention the physical, psychological, and emotional perks!!
What a big baby I am. As I am reading your post I 'm totally crying. I love you reasons, family and kids and friends! I am totally jelous too. I can't wait till this baby comes out and I too will run. Not a marathon, but a 5k! LOVE YOU GF!!
That's so awesome! Way to go! I meant to ask you about it tonight, but I totally spaced it, sorry! It looks like you had an awesome time. How fun for Adam and the kids to be there too, that's great! Good job!!!
Impressive and inspiring. Way to go. I'm sure I'm not half as proud of you as Adam and the kids are.
Great experience for your whole family. Awesome job!! What super Mom and person you are!! Love ya!
Way to go! I don't have any desire to do what you did. But I admire everyone who has the will to make it to the end!!
Janae, Congratulations! I'm so amazed by you... good on you for the no walking, and even gooder (???) on you for doing another. You're more of a woman than i'll ever be...!
Wow!Great work!I hope to run one someday!I hope you don't mind I saw you on sister Hyer's blog roll and I was SUPER excited to see how you were!You all look sooo happy!
Congratulations again on your run!
That is awesome, what a great accomplishment. The thing that doesn't match is not you but the sandals.
Post a Comment