The first of these 35 stockings was made by my great grandmother, "Granny" for my mother and aunt when they were little girls.
As they got married and had children, Granny made stockings for their families.
After she died, my mom and aunt continued to make them.

We now have three generations of these beautiful red felt sequined masterpieces. To me, these stockings are more than holding bags for Santa's gifts. They represent my family and the times I want to always remember. Though similar, each stocking is different and unique, just like it's owner. The first time it hit me that we had a "large" family was when I saw all of our stockings hung on the stairs in our Lexington house. I remember thinking, "Are all of those stockings ours?" I imagine my mom and aunt must have thought the same thing as they looked at all of our stockings this Christmas.

8 comments:
What a wonderful tradition! The picture of all the stockings is really impressive! I like how you gathered all the old pictures to show the history. Glad you had such an unforgetable Christmas!
What an awesome and timeless post, Janae. Thanks for sharing your very rich and full Christmas and traditions!! WOW.
I agree, what a great tradition!
I wish I knew how to sew better, then I would make some stockings for my family. We have been trying for a couple of years to get all matching, but the store bought ones are so impersonal and expensive, so we keep putting it off. It think it is a wonderful tradition.
I am LOVING that childhood picture of Marilyn! Great hair and pj's!
oh, janae, i love these pictures...this is what Christmas is all about to me. beautiful.
Wow. Haven't looked in for a long time. All of those photos of all the socks and kids and everything are priceless. You should send them and an article in to the Ensign. I'm not joking. Traditions? Families? Something........
Loved all the pictures! What memories seeing the picture of the cute Marilyn, I knew her when
Post a Comment