Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Afternoon on General Mills


In November, General Mills came out with these cereal boxes. Did you see them? Well, I bought some Honey Nut Cheerios but didn't realize until I came home that they had a free movie offer. Usually, these kind of deals require you to sign all your personal information away. So I cautiously went to the site and was shocked to find that they didn't ask for anything - not even my name. All I had to do was type in numbers from my cereal boxes, and I was able to print out a movie ticket that was good at several theaters near me. It was awesome. It took two boxes for one ticket and since the cereal was on sale for $1.50 a box, it was a no brainer. I went right back a bought 14 boxes - enough to take our whole family to the movies. (Honestly, now I wish I would have bought more).


My older boys are big fans of the Percy Jackson books and have been anxiously awaiting for the new movie to hit the theaters. So we saved the tickets to take them to Percy Jackson and the Olympians. The boys have known for months that it was opening on Presidents Day Weekend, but they thought that meant it would actually open on Monday. So last night, Adam and I used our General Mills tickets to purchase tickets for the 1:15pm showing today. We didn't tell the boys.

Grammy and Grandpa Mike came to watch the younger three (we decided it would be too scary for them. Besides, I didn't want to rob Aaron of the joy of reading the book by letting him watch the movie first). Adam told Caleb and Isaac we were going to Costco to buy underwear. Which they of course didn't believe, but was the cause of endless jokes the whole way to the theater.

When we pulled up to the theater they knew exactly why we were there and were SO EXCITED (obviously we don't take them to the theater much)! All in all, the movie was fun. The boys liked it. It definitely varied considerably from the book, so if you're a big fan you may be disappointed. But we all had a blast together and enjoyed the movie despite its varying from the book. Thank you Grammy and Grandpa and thank you General Mills!!

8 comments:

Jodi said...

A trip to Costco to get underwear...that is great! Glad you had fun at the movie.

Beth said...

If we haven't read the books will we like the movie? My girls really want to see it. They love all the Harry Potter books. Don't you love a good deal?! It makes everything more fun!

Lori Thompson said...

We bought a ton of those boxes too! I always love finding great deals! Fun to hear how you and Adam "tricked" the boys! :) Good times!

Juliet said...

I never saw those boxes. Wish I had!

Marilyn said...

That is SO Adam. Glad you had a great time.

Jueneta said...

Can't wait to see the movie but we still have 4 more chapters to read. Great idea to trick them like that.

Marjorie said...

Sounds like great fun for all of you and what a great memory for that family memory box. Wish I had seen the boxes for sale so I could have bought some to get tickets for any grandkids that come my way---or maybe just to send to them anyway. Sounds like you all had a blast!! Good going you guys.

Lisa R.D. said...

I missed those boxes of cereal too (darn it!)... and we haven't read the book(s) yet and I understand the movie is probably a little more scary than the books, so we might have to wait a bit to let our kids see it... do you think the books are okay for 6 and 8 year olds, or should we wait on those too for a couple of years? I love the trickery of telling them you were going to buy underwear--classic!