Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Day at the Capital

Today, I spent almost the whole day at the State Capital.  Caleb's teacher became state certified (which is really hard to do) and received recognition from the State House of Representatives and the State Senate.  She invited Caleb and I to attend.  I kept him home from school and we, along with Isaac, went to the Capital.  Mrs. H (Caleb's teacher) had been told we needed to be there at 8:00am but we didn't really need to be there until 10:30 for her presentations at 11:15a.m and 11:30am.  We could have gone home and then come back but we would have had to turn right around a half an hour after we got home.  So instead, we toured the State House and spent time exploring.  We learned some great things and I enjoyed being able to spend some time with just my older boys.





After exploring, we went back to wait in the rotunda and stumbled upon a press conference on education.  Since that is a subject dear to my heart I suggested we go and listen.  As soon as Caleb saw the TV cameras, I couldn't keep up with him.  All three local channels were covering the event and Caleb really wanted to be on the news.  He decided his best chance was to walk back and forth behind the press conference, enabling all three cameras to get a shot of him.  And that is just what he did.  He casually walked back and forth for ten minutes.  We weren't home to see if he actually made it on TV, but he seemed satisfied that he did.




Our time spent in the Senate and House of Representatives was interesting (we heard the Senate pass a bill that made it illegal for anyone between the ages of 16-18 to use a cell phone while driving).   Then we watched Mrs. H be recognized by both houses.  We are so proud of our Mrs. H and are really grateful we could be there to see her honored.


After Mrs. H was presented at both houses, we booked it home in time for me to take care of a few things and then I headed back to the Capital with my dear friend Marie.

A member of the House of Representatives was trying to pass a bill that would have greatly hindered our school district.  I had spent the last several days writing letters to all  the members of the House and sending out e-mails to others in my district.  Marie and I went to the Capital to support our school district in fighting the bill.  I was grateful to be with my dear friend.  In Boston, we went together (with babes in arms) to the Massachusetts Capital to stand against the gay marriage initiative.  It was wild to be together again fighting for something we felt was so important.  I am grateful to live in this country and for the freedoms and voice it allows us as individuals.  And I am grateful I could see it in action with a teacher, a friend, and kids I love!!

(PS. The bill failed 11-3.  Hurray!!!)

8 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

What a great day... it's so great that you could take your boys on such an educational field trip... it's so neat that you (and your friend) are willing to fight for important causes and help make sure that legislators are truly representing the people that elected them.

Bridget said...

What a good mom! I am glad that you were able to have some time with your older boys and that Caleb could get on TV - possibly.

Juliet said...

What a neat trip. The capital is beautiful and I loved hearing about all the things you were able to do. Of course I loved the story about Caleb. Very funny. My favorite part is that he didn't care about actually seeing himself on TV or verifying that his strategy was successful.

Marilyn said...

Beautiful pictures, I love capital buildings. What fun adventures and the story about Caleb is hilarious.

Marilyn said...

It just occurred to me that Juliet went to that capital when she was a week old. I was working in YW at the time and we lived in the Capital Hill area. We had an activity at the capital the week after she was born and I took her. Don't ask me why I even went, she was a very easy delivery.

Jueneta said...

Janae,you are so amazing. I love how involved you are and especially how much you accomplish. Awesome it didn't pass.

Jodi said...

What a fun day! That is such a neat opportunity for you and your boys. I think Mrs. H is such a great teacher. I am glad Caleb is in her class.

Marjorie said...

What an awesome outting with your two boys. I can't believe how big they are getting. Time really does fly. You have a great family, love all your wonderful adventures. Tell Caleb, I bet that they did get his picture on tv, He will run into somebody who seen him I bet.