Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sharing Clothes



Ruby was helping me fold laundry and kindly folded one of my running shirts. I noticed a few minutes later that she was wearing it. I asked her what she was doing. She said that the shirt was hers now because it fit her. I told her it didn't fit.  I also told her that it was a shirt I use a lot so she could not have it. Later, she came back with it tucked in - trying to convince me of it's "perfect fit." I asked her to please put it back in the laundry room. She replied, "Please mom! Can't we just share it? Can you at least let me wear it to school once?!"


     I know I am really new to the girl thing. But isn't it a little early to be starting this?!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Ruby is so cute! Just wait a few years and then she will want to share your jewelry too.

Bridget said...

I would not worry too much about it. In a few years, as you are mom, your clothes will probably be the last thing on earth she will be willing to wear (although your jewelry might still be in danger). Enjoy being cool while you can - and just pull the shirt so it is coming off one shoulder and give her a side pony tail and she will look awesome!

vocalise said...

LOOK at that little girl!! Such cute thoughts...one of those incidents that just sort of stops you short as the gender differences stare you in the face.

Beth said...

I like Bridget's advice, I would add a belt around the waist or maybe do a side knot on the shirt. My girls beg to wear my clothes, some of it actually fits pretty well. Now to get my girls to stop fighting over each others clothes.

Marilyn said...

Ruby is so cute and such a character! I like the hair bow too.

Juliet said...

Very, very cute--even if the shirt doesn't fit. I am already starting to worry about Marilyn. I pulled a small section of her hair into a ponytail (or pigtail really) for the first time last week and found I am not very good doing hair. She was THRILLED with it though. Now every morning when we brush out the rat's nest on the back of her head she insists she also get a "ponytail, ponytail". I try to convince her to just let me put in a barrette but no, she has to have a ponytail. Once it is in she can't stop looking in the mirror while shaking her head and watching the ponytail bounce.

Adam said...

Juliet - That's why we haven't allowed B to speak yet:) There are advantages to not being one of the early adopters of fundamental human behaviors. Just wait until you are on a long drive or an airplane and the enormous pride you felt after potty training your child earlier than other kids quickly degrades into self-loathing and regret. It happens:).
I look forward to seeing Marilyn again. I'm compiling a list of vocabulary words guaranteed to be catalysts for some fun experiences (perhaps in hindsight).

Marjorie said...

She looks so cute in blue!! Course she is cute no matter what she wears so enjoy letting her enjoy your clothes--it won't last forever but then it will start again in the teens! Such fun!

Jueneta said...

The joys of girls. Sharing clothes, clothes on the floor, crazy looking outfits, fun hairdos . . . you are going to be great.

From the Farm said...

I can remember leaving for school when I was in the 7th grade wearing my mom's flats. She was in bed when I left and was not happy when I came home. Later, it was her sweaters I wanted and would wear. I still have one in my closet.

Such a sweet compliment that she wants to be like her mom. Who could ask for more?