On Wednesday afternoon Aaron was playing with a bungee cord and hooked it onto a tree. He pulled it back and the hook came off the tree and hit him in the eye. It was HORRIBLE. Long story short, he fractured the bone around his eye, has 7 stitches in the fleshy part of his skin underneath his eyeball, ripped his globe and has a hemorrhaged retina. There are not words to explain the trauma. I will spare you the gory details, but it was the worst thing I have gone through with one of my kids. Usually things don't get to me like that but it was really difficult to watch him in so much pain. When my dad was a resident, he would occasionally take me with him on his rounds. I remember on one occasion, I watched an eye surgery. I found it interesting but I could hardly be in the room as they examined Aaron's eye over and over. Thank goodness Adam was there. Both Aaron and Adam were amazing. (I wanted to scream my head off).
The doctors are optimistic that his vision will not be permanently affected. Which is miraculous. Fortunately, the part of the eye that was damaged is not connected to his sight. They also think the globe and retina will be able to heal without surgery, which is also a huge blessing. The swelling in his eye has gone down tremendously, and as you can see in the picture, he can now open it.
We have had an outpouring of support from friends, family and neighbors. Meals have been brought, children tended, cards and gifts sent. When it happened, the older boys were at scouts and Adam was at work. Aaron was screaming, Benjamin was screaming and I was overwhelmed. As I hurried to put an ice pack together I noticed Benjamin stopped screaming. I looked to see my neighbor in the doorway holding Benjamin in one hand and Ruby's hand in the other.
As usual, this trial has brought a renewed remembrance of our dearest blessings and what matters most.
9 comments:
I can't even imagine. I had to reread the post to really internalize what happened. I am sorry that he was hurt so bad. What a brave kid though!! and what a beautiful tender mercy of the Lord having your neighbor there when you needed her.
you've got me crying over here just imagining the situation as you described it. You really got me started when you said how you looked over and your neighbor was there helping. I'm so glad to hear Aaron is okay and that his vision will be too. We'll keep you in our prayers to make sure it stays that way :)
Poor Aaron. I hate to even think about it. (I am impressed that he could muster such a big grin in photograph though.)
He's a SMILIN' black-eyed little pea! SO glad the news is good. Heard about it back here in the east practically as it was happening in the west! Happy healing, little buddy!
So glad to see him smiling. He looks much better! We were all relieved when we heard his vision is expected to be ok! We are thinking of you!
Oh Man, I am sorry you all had to go through that. I am glad to hear that there might not be any permanant damage. It is always such a relief to have such support. Thank goodness for that.
What a brave little guy, and once again what an awesome Mom, one who kept her cool even if she thinks she didn't. It is a blessing to know that there are such wonderful doctors in your area, how grateful we are that you are so blessed. What a wonderful neighbor, express our thanks to her from all of us, she followed the promptings and was there for you---what a blessing for all of you. Glad to hear that there probably won't be any permanent damage, you know that you and yours are truly loved. Grandma
Becca told me that this happened...poor little guy. It sounds like things will work out okay. Scary how things like that happen!
Poor redheaded grin! Leah told us about this while we were out there...I'll be thinking about you guys...
Post a Comment