Sunday, October 5, 2008

A New Tradition


Until recently, my china had been sitting in a box for for over 12 years. I honestly couldn't remember exactly what it looked like. When we moved into our current house, I finally had a place for it. I joyfully unwrapped each dish in anticipation of actually being able to use it. But after 6 months, we still hadn't touched them. The traditional events one would think of for their use, simply are not possible with the large number of family we have here. A 12 place setting just doesn't cut it.

Determined to use it, we had a special brunch for conference . . .with the china. It helped reinforce the special nature of conference and was simply delightful. I had to mentally walk through the fact that it was possible something would be broken and that it would be fine (even though the china is from Germany and no longer made or replaceable). Luckily I wasn't tested. The kids made great effort to be careful and enjoyed the affair immensely. This is definitely a new conference tradition.

7 comments:

NW Harbert's said...

I love this idea for Conference. Now for the china! ;)

Marilyn said...

Looks yummy and pretty. What was on the menu?

vocalise said...

I actually remember that I gave you that pitcher!!!!

Juliet said...

I like that tradition. Rufus is very big on trying to find occassions to use our china. Nice photo as well. Your cannon?

Becca said...

That is a great idea! It is beautiful china by the way!

Marjorie said...

Awesome, glad to see you setting up your own traditions etc. China is made to be used, glad that you are able to do that. You are an awesome Mom. Love, grandma

liso. said...

Love it! That's an awesome idea!