Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Family Birthday

It's our Family's Birthday. Since we have just came back from our big trip (post to come) we decided to keep things simple. We wanted to go camping at one of the many campgrounds within 20-30 minutes from our home. I tried to make a reservation.  However, the lady on the phone (who is actually in New York) told me we have to stay for at least two days to make a reservation and have to make the reservation at least 3 days in advance. Since I was calling 2 days in advance and we were only staying for one day, I did not get a reservation. So we decided to try our luck with the "first come, first serve" sites. Needless to say,we drove around for four hours stopping at SEVERAL campgrounds only to find they were all FULL. On the bright side, we did find some really cool places we would like to come back to - with a reservation of course.

So we fell back to our back up plan - camping in the back yard. We were all really disappointed and decided to stop at one of the picnic spots in the canyon to roast our hot dogs for lunch. It was a good break. It gave the kids a chance to run around, cook over a fire, play in water, and get dirty.  Really, that's all of the highlights of a good camp out, right?



Our back yard camping turned out to be really fun. We didn't answer the door or phone and kept going inside to a bare minimum. Plus, we had clean bathrooms! We all slept outside, except Benjamin who got to sleep in his crib - which translates into a really great nap and nights sleep. And camping on grass is always nicer than camping on dirt. We cooked our foil dinners and roasted s'mores. We played games and made projects. Isaac insisted on putting up his own tent, but when night came, he decided he would rather sleep with everyone else. (Good move, since we had a lightening storm that night.)  I think we'd all say it was a great family birthday!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to a great family!

The Cox Crew said...

I have found that camping is more complicated for me than I think it should be. You have to research/find a spot and successfully make a reservation which can be almost impossible! Then all the camping/gear/set up... Isn't the joy of camping supposed to be in its simplicity? Anyway, sorry to ramble. Happy birthday Coxes!

Bridget said...

I am glad that your family had a fu family birthday after all and that you did not have to use the dirty smelly bathrooms.

Lisa R.D. said...

Have I told you that I think your family birthday idea is a wonderful one? It looks like you had so much fun together which is what it's all about.

Marilyn said...

Great pictures and so much fun!

Juliet said...

That looks like a lot fun actually. I am wishing all of a sudden we had a bigger yard so we could do the same. Happy Family Birthday!

vocalise said...

Promise. They will always remember that backyard camp out and it will become a highlight memory. Fun.

Marjorie said...

What a neat and awesome day!! Happy family Birthday. Everyone looks like they enjoyed the experience, it will be a highlight of many good memories you are building for your kids.