Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Traditions

Almost all of my favorite family traditions have been stolen ideas from other cool families. I wish I could say we were clever and thought of these things on our own, but it's simply not so. One of my favorite is celebrating our family's birthday (known to most as an anniversary).

Several years ago I went to a fireside on strengthening the family and our bishop's wife shared with us a tradition where every year on their anniversary they celebrate their family's birthday. They took the kids out of school and they all went somewhere together. I loved the idea from the moment I heard it. I know it's not romantic and lacks the spouse getaway that is equally important (Adam and I also do something later to celebrate our anniversary). But isn't family what it's all about? What better way to celebrate one of the greatest things we have.

So this Saturday will be our 12th anniversary and our fourth time celebrating our "family birthday." It has been really nice having something planned that guarantees we spend time on a family trip with just us. Our trips have varied depending on budget and time. We have spent just one day somewhere and other times we have gone away for a couple of days. My favorite so far was probably our second trip (see picture below). We went to Maine for the day. We spent the morning swimming at the beach, ate fish and chips for lunch at a Light House, drove to another beach and hiked along the coast, had a picnic dinner, went into town and visited the candy shop and ended with two rides on a Ferris Wheel. It was a perfect day.


This year we are going to camp at Lake Powell for a few days. I'm looking forward to a couple days with my favorite people. Here's to 12 great years, Happy Birthday Adam, Caleb, Isaac, Aaron and Ruby!!

4 comments:

The Cox Crew said...

That is such a great idea, and I'm totally jealous you're going to Lake Powell. Have fun!

Leah said...

Happy anniversary Cox Family! I am so happy you were "born." It's a great idea. Love you, Leah

NW Harbert's said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope you don't mind if I crash your site once in a while. I would love for you to visit ours www.nwharberts.blogspot.com if you want. I love being able to see what is going on. Sorry we didn't get to visit when we came a couple of weeks ago. And CONGRATULATIONS on the new addition soon.
Love Heather Harbert

purpletailgate said...

What a fun tradition. Am I the infamous bishop's wife? Happy belated anniversary! Mary Johnston