Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dinsosaurs and Ice Cream

Today we went the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving point. The museum has a lot of "hands on" exhibits so they all had a great time.


On our way home, Caleb mentioned that Ice Cream was a big part of summer and that they hadn't had any yet . . hint hint. I told them if they were VERY good we could stop at the grocery store on the way home. However, only under the condition that after they all had their say, I made the ultimate decision on what we purchased; and only angelic behavior would be demonstrated in the store. Half of the condition was kept. I picked ice cream bars.

After dinner, I sent all four of them gleefully outside to eat their "summer treat." Isaac came back in about two minutes later.

"There is an ice cream truck outside and she said we could have any ice cream we want for free! Caleb said OK and the other kids are going too!"

A lot of things flashed through my mind. I ran outside to find that Ruby and Aaron had discarded the generic crunch ice cream bars I had bought, and were eating huge spider man ice cream bars with bubble gum eyes. There was no trace of Caleb. But I could see an ice cream truck parked in front of our neighbor's house. I also noticed several of our neighbors with ice cream bars of their own strolling down the street.

I began to prod Isaac for more information. "Who said you could have that ice cream for free?"

"Ruby T.'s mom. She said it was Sam's birthday so everyone could have ice cream!"

I began to feel the calm after the storm. Still, ice cream from an ice cream truck is NEVER free. The Bishop and his family, who live directly across from us, all had summer treats. I called over to the mother, Denise, and asked if she had paid for my kid's ice cream. She wandered over and said that is it was her son Sam's birthday. Our other neighbors, the T family, threw a surprise Birthday party for him and got an ice cream truck for the party.

Nice neighbors.

Caleb reappeared with a Reeses peanut butter bar for himself and Adam; and an Oreo bar for me.

My kids have never got ice cream from and ice cream truck before. It was very exciting. They sat out on the grass munching and talking with all their neighborhood friends. Pure summer bliss.

2 comments:

ellen said...

Your kids are adorable! Love Ruby's scarf!! Love the "great summer ice cream" mystery!

Marilyn said...

When I was young they had the Helms truck that went around the neighborhood. They were a large bakery in Culver City and you could get donuts and other baked goods. We didn't get to buy anything very often but once in awhile we did get a donut, fun old memories. Nice neighbors also.